Monday, November 19, 2012

Best Hot New Dining Trend

Forget food trucks, pop-ups, and panning Times Square mega-restaurants, this season's hottest dining trend is free food for Sandy victims and volunteers.  Come, let me show you some things I've enjoyed


On each trip I've taken out to the Rockaways I've taken a few peanut butter sandwiches with me and I've yet to eat one, thanks to donors like American Flatbread Pizza


Cooked on the spot in a wood burning portable pizza oven, it's fine snack available where fine frozen pizzas are sold.


Or this neighborhood barbecue set up on 133rd Street


A great place to grab a cold one,


And enjoy one of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had . . . forget fancy, nothing's nearly as tasty as hot, cheesey and free, especially when handed to you by an enthusiastic and friendly neighbor who's also happy to hook you up with some chili and a hot dog.


A few blocks away on 135th, a proper and serious spread.


Among the offerings: pasta, great bbq chicken, sloppy joes and coleslaw.


Heading out to help people dig their homes out, you just don't expect any charity to be thrown you're way . . . you're there to be a helper, after all.  But seeing so many people there so happy to make sure we're fed, shoot, it's really something to know what it's like to give and to receive.


No comments: